5 Reasons Why Acupuncture & Traditional Chinese Medicine May be Your Best Choice
Since you’re reading this article, it’s safe to assume that either you or someone you care about has a health condition that you want healed. Chances are, treatment with acupuncture and Oriental medicine is your best choice. Here’s why:
1. It’s natural - All healing is done by the body’s natural healing mechanisms. Even the greatest surgeon can’t heal the smallest cut. Only the body can do that.
2. It works with your body instead of against it - Modern medicine is miraculous, but your body’s self-healing abilities even more so. Most modern drugs work by preventing symptoms instead of helping to bring your self-healing abilities into play. Often these symptoms (such as fever, inflammation, etc.) are actually your body’s attempt to heal itself. Blocking these symptoms can give relief, at the cost of true healing.
3. Side effects are minimal or non-existent -Experts agree, all drugs have side effects. Eli Lilly, Founder of the Eli Lilly Pharmaceutical Company, once said, “A drug without side effects is no drug at all”. Also, according to Dr. Janet Woodcock, Director of the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, All drugs have side effects, and even the safest approved drugs have side effects”. Unfortunately the newest drugs are also the most dangerous, as their side effects are still being discovered. “51% of approved drugs have adverse side effects not detected prior to approval.” (Source: Clinical Pharmacology: Basic Principles in Therapuetics (3rd edition).Instead of the unbalancing effects of drugs, acupuncture and Chinese herbs work with the body’s systems to bring them back into balance. This means that side effects are minimal or non-existent, and never life-threatening.
4. It’s safe - The average acupuncturist spends about $50 a month on malpractice insurance. The average doctor (general practitioner, family practitioner and internist) spends about $1000 per month. (Sources: American Acupuncture Council and Medical Economics Magazine) Visiting an acupuncturist is at least as safe as visiting your doctor, if not safer.
5. It is outstanding for chronic conditions - Modern medicine is exceptional at acute conditions – health problems needing immediate attention, such as infections, broken bones, trauma, and anything requiring surgery. It’s not as good at chronic conditions – health conditions that just don’t go away on their own. These persistent conditions are where Acupuncture and Oriental medicine is especially effective. Click here for a list of conditions treated (note that the list also includes some acute conditions.)
If you’re interested in seeking treatment or discussing a condition, please call us at (610) 668 – 1114 . We offer a free 15 minute consultation (either in the office or on the phone) to determine if we can help. Chances are, we can. Serving Narberth, Bala Cynwyd, Wynnewood, Ardmore, Gladwyne, Bryn Mawr, Havertown, Haverford and the entire Main Line.